1864 Operations Of The
12th Battalion Georgia Light Artillery
In Taylor County, Florida

 



   The 12th Georgia Battalion mustered into the Confederate States service on the 1st day of May 1862, as a Battalion of Light Artillery at Augusta, Georgia. On the 7th of July, 1862. The battalion reported at Chattanooga, Tennessee. On the 12th of July 1862 four companies of the battalion were armed as infantry, one remained as Light Artillery. The battalion remained in East Tennessee and Kentucky under General Kirby Smith until December 1862. By order of the Secretary of War it reported to General Beauregard, commanding the Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. General Beauregard assigned it duty under General Mercer commanding at Savannah, Georgia, where four companies acted as Infantry and two as Artillery.

   The Battalion changed headquarters on March 9, 1864, from No. 9 Station on the Albany and Gulf Railroad (Present Day Waycross, Georgia) to Tallahassee Florida by train; it arrived at that city on March 15, 1864, having traveled 90 miles by railroad and 35 miles marching. The battalion left Tallahassee March 20, 1864 en- route to Taylor County, Florida.  The battalion then marched all over Taylor and Lafayette County Florida hunting bushwhackers and deserters. They captured some deserters, and were ordered to burn their houses and move their families to Camp Smith near Tallahassee. The Battalion drove the deserters to seek refuge on the Federal blockade ships. The battalion then marched back to Quitman, Georgia where it went by railroad to Savannah, Georgia. The distance marched by the battalion since leaving station No. 9 was 350 miles. Most of the marching was done in water up to the knees.
 

 

2013 William C. Wright
 

(Field and Staff muster rolls)
 

 

 

Back